Re: [avr-gcc-list] documenting pm() and gs() avr-as operators

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] documenting pm() and gs() avr-as operators
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 21:27:32 +0200

As Jan Waclawek wrote:

> First, I have no idea what the source of docs is

GNU binutils, if you look around, it's easy enough to find: there's a
directory named "gas" (for "GNU assembler") which in turn has a
subdirectory named "doc".  There, you can find a file named
"c-avr.texi", which is supposed to document AVR extensions to the GNU
assembler.

> (and I suspect it is in some arcane language I would have trouble to
> work with anyway),

texinfo, which is nothing terribly hard to guess, since basically, you
could just look around how the other entries are formatted.

> where it is nor how to prepare a patch the high esteemed gnu gurus

You are sounding arrogant, sorry.  Not much sense in continuing the
discussion.  If you don't know something, you can simply ask.  If you
don't want to contribute, that's fine, too, but then don't expect
anyone else to spend much more energy into fixing it than you did
yourself.  There's no God here, there's just people doing their work
like you and me are doing.

Btw., as a stop-gap measure, we added it to the avr-libc documentation
some time ago, as avr-libc is a relatively small project where it is
simple enough to add a bit of documentation without pushing it through
half a dozen of instances it first.  But as Eric mentioned, the bug is
really in GNU binutils, they ought to document it.

> PS. Recently I've posted you personally on another suggestion not
> fitting anywhere, which came from avrfreaks, a small mod in the
> MFile template, have you had opportunity to have a look at that?

Not really, and I'm a little sorry there is no formal bug tracker
available for Mfile, as it isn't really a standalone project of its
own.  We used to host it in the WinAVR repository, but as Eric is
going to transition WinAVR to another project (under the umbrella of
Atmel), there's no longer a bug & patch tracker around.  As such, your
suggestion simply sits in my inbox, hoping I'll find enough time and
devotion to polish up Mfile again some day, and then going to remember
there's still an email from you.

I'm not quite satisfied with that situation, but Mfile is just such a
minor thing so I'm a little reluctant about pushing it up into a
full-blown savannah or sourceforge project of its own.