Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG

From: Bernard Fouché
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] crosstool-NG
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:52:26 +0100

Le 04/03/2011 05:23, Weddington, Eric a écrit :

(In addition, WinAVR is about to be
deprecated
in favor of a toolset integrated into AVR Studio.  It is on it's last
official
release, at least officially.)
Officially, it's up to me what to do with WinAVR. Admittedly there hasn't been
a lot of incentive what with AS5 coming out with a toolchain.

However, based on some discussion on AVR Freaks, I'm reconsidering.

WinAVR included all patches included in the compiled binaries. AS does not, there is not even a link to where one can get the source code of the avr-gcc toolchain used (I just looked at the HELP menubar in AS5, just found http://www.gnu.org/software/binutils/ and nothing else). There is also no list of the patches used to make the toolchain and no version number, one has to use '--version' on each tool to discover what version was used to make the binaries.

One can find also http://distribute.atmel.no/tools/opensource/ posted on AvrFreaks, but there is no clue if these files were used for AS5 and probably that's not the case because AS5 is delivered with avr-gcc 4.5.1 while only version 4.4.3 source is made available on Atmel's site. I'm no software licence expert but I have the feeling that Atmel forgot something regarding the source code of the toolchain of AS5. Or maybe the information is buried somewhere else on Atmel's site ?

Making all of our AVR code on Linux, I used to download WinAVR to rebuild a toolchain on Linux, knowing the result would work. Now the only solution is to go for Bingo600's scripts... I wonder how Joe NewAvrProgrammer can build his own correct toolchain in a reasonable amount of time with the information regarding the toolchain being scattered all around. Why Atmel doesn't publish a single web page listing the tools version and giving access to necessary patches (or making Bingo600 script 'official' or at least pointing to it) is a mystery for me.

BTW AS is used here only when we want to debug with the AVRONE! since there is no way to use it directly on Linux, otherwise we never use AS because we just don't need it.

In our case the avr-gcc tools are parts of a larger code production chain which is based on PHP, and this does not fit in a IDE like VS. For instance PHP will generate .h files that are compiled on the fly with .c files, PHP scripts will also generate .xml files describing the target being compiled since those files are requested by third party programs, we generate also Latex code at compile time so we are sure that parts of the documentation are fully synchronous with the compiled target, etc.: Linux is fine for this. And our Linux IDE is Emacs...