RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: an idea: adding serial sram to avr to extendheap

From: Boyapati, Anitha
Subject: RE: [avr-gcc-list] Re: an idea: adding serial sram to avr to extendheap storage
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:12:31 +0800

Hi Ray,

>As for the other concerns, I am not really looking at pushing this
>upstream but more a project for myself that I would make available to
>the world as an optional patch.

I think it is too preliminary to decide whether this can go upstream. Let the
requirement and design evolve. Then we can discuss the impact.

Infact this is a pretty interesting one. If this feature is designed as an
optional one (made possible with one of the new target specific options), I see
no reason why it should not go upstream. The usage is upto the user.

>  My inquiry here was mostly an early
>question of how feasible this would be and where should I start
>looking in the code to get a start on it.  As for what project I am
>wanting to use this for, there are a number of them.  It came to mind
>as I was looking at the python on a chip project that wants lots of
>memory.

Ideas are always welcome :-)

Anitha