Re: [avr-gcc-list] [AVR] RTL prologue/epilogue ver.3

From: Weddington, Eric
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] [AVR] RTL prologue/epilogue ver.3
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 07:55:55 -0600

Anitha,

That optimization was put in so many years ago, that it would be silly
to now take it out just because the AVR Studio debugger does not know
how to handle it. We've taken advantage of side-effects of the rcall
instruction to improve the code size.

It would be better if the debugger could be made to be smarter, not dumb
the compiler down more just because the debugger hasn't been improved in
this area.

I've had this same conversation internally at least 2 years ago (or
more) now, and I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten any further...