Re: [avr-gcc-list] External 256K FLASH - memory pointer

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] External 256K FLASH - memory pointer
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:51:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Parthasaradhi Nayani <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have an external FLASH (serial) of size 256K. I would like t=
> o create a memory section for this memory and have pointers (more than 16 b=
> its) to this memory.

What's the point?  A pointer is just a 32-bit (or perhaps 24-bit,
in recent AVR-GCC versions) number.

Normally, the point of using a pointer is that the compiler arranges
for you to dereference the pointer automatically, but this memory
being external, not accessible by normal CPU instructions, this cannot
work anyway.  Consequently, you can use the respective integer numbers
by itself (perhaps through some kind of typedef that hints them being
memory addresses).