Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-libc-user-manual: "Problems with reordering code"

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-libc-user-manual: "Problems with reordering code"
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 19:13:28 +0100

The functions in atomic.h are correct, but their description is not quite accurate. The description says that inside an atomic block, the code cannot be interrupted. But as we have seen, /code/ can be moved inside and outside of an atomic block just as it can be moved around the "cli()" instruction (the atomic.h macros generate the same instructions). The blocks are atomic with respect to memory access - any access to memory within an atomic block will be completed without interruption.

Note that C, even with gcc extensions and inline assembly, has no way to express "do this code here" - you can have barriers to movement of memory accesses, but not instruction execution. Note also that it is only control of the memory access that is needed for code correctness - moving instruction execution affects timing, but not the results.

mvh.,

David