Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-libc-user-manual: "Problems with reordering code"

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avr-gcc-list] Avr-libc-user-manual: "Problems with reordering code"
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 13:49:06 -0500

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 1:13 PM, David Brown <address@hidden> wrote:

> Note also that it is only control
> of the memory access that is needed for code correctness - moving
> instruction execution affects timing, but not the results.

As I'm sure you are aware even if the code if mathematically correct,
giving the correct answers, failing to meet timing goals can be
catastrophic in Real Time Systems.

So the only solution is to use different parts, such as ARM, with its
Instruction Synchronization Barrier (ISB) [that can waste thousands of
cycles]?