Re: [avr-libc-dev] timer.h

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] timer.h
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:18:36 -0600

On 30 Sep 2002 at 16:08, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As E. Weddington wrote:
>
> > > I notice in timer.h in the avr include files there is a function
> > >
> > > static inline void timer0_source (unsigned int src)
> > >
> > > I'm just wondering why there is no matching function for timers 1
> > > and 2?
>
> > Not only that, but the timer0 API is woefully incomplete; If it was
> > ever intended to *be* complete.
>
> IMHO, we should drop this file.  It's incomplete enough so i doubt
> anybody is actually using it at all.
>
> Opinions?

Please, drop it. Or, make it totally complete and worthwhile to use.

There's enough traffic on AVRFreaks about this issue. The incomplete
file just adds confusion. (Why is it incomplete? What about timer1
and timer2? Will it ever be added to the library? Do I have to
support it myself?) I'm sure that there would be people interested in
a timer module. If AVRGCC doesn't provide it, they'll have to roll
their own anyway. If AVRGCC does provide it, then it will save
programming time.

I have some code that might be a starting point for a timer module.
But only if there's any interest. (I've RFC'd a couple things before
with no takers).

Eric