Re: [avr-libc-dev] Are there any autoconf/automake experts around?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Are there any autoconf/automake experts around?
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 00:27:32 +0200

As Dave Hylands wrote:

> Hi J"org,

Thanks for the quick follow, Dave.

> Even without the run-time library, you should still be able to
> produce an "executable" (using the -nostdlib options et al).

That was my first idea, too, so I tried that, to no avail.  The check
that fails is the one that tries to determine the name of the default
output file (like a.out), and obviously, things like CFLAGS are being
completely ignored there.

After digging through many an m4 file around, I eventually stumbled
across AC_NO_EXECUTABLES which apparently seems to do exactly what I
want -- and is, of course, completely undocumented in the regular docs
(i.e. the info files). :-((

> Can you send the configure script being used? (perhaps off-list
> since it will be quite large).

It's all in avr-libc's CVS if anybody wants to play with it.  You can
check out it online.

> Which version of automake/autoconf are you using?

1.9/2.59

> What would I need to do to reproduce your environment? I haven't yet
> tried building any version of avr-gcc but have built numerous arm
> compilers.

Note that avr-gcc is not the problem here, only avr-libc's new auto*
setup.

> Are you running under linux or cygwin?

FreeBSD ;-)