Re: [avr-libc-dev] Are there any autoconf/automake experts around?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] Are there any autoconf/automake experts around?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:55:02 +0200

As Wojtek Kaniewski wrote:

(Setting CFLAGS in autoconf before AC_PROG_CC.)

> >...and it didn't work.

> It works for me. [...]

> After adding CFLAGS="-c" before AC_PROG_CC, configure says:

>    checking for C compiler default output file name... b.out
                                                         ^^^^^

Hmm, that would be a strange result anyway. ;-)

> And config.log:

>    configure:2208: checking for C compiler default output file name
>    configure:2211: avr-gcc -c   conftest.c  >&5

Weird, it didn't work for me, but maybe I've put that CFLAGS statement
into the wrong position (right before AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE, as I figured
that was the culprit, not AC_PROG_CC itself).

> Anyway, if AC_NO_EXECUTABLES works fine for you, let's forget this
> hack.

Yep, as long as AC_NO_EXECUTABLES is there and does the job, it's
preferrable.  Too bad it's not documented.  But general documentation
about many features appears to be rather poor to me.

Thanks again for anybody who chimed in, and was going to help me.