Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-lib-c-extentions library

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avr-libc-dev] avr-lib-c-extentions library
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 22:12:37 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > Dean Camera wrote:

> > What sort of contributions did you have in mind? Would the
> > "util" library code be moved over to the new library? How
> > would you imagine it structured?

I really thought of things that are currently available in libraries
like Procyon AVRlib.  Stuff from myself I'd consider candidate for
inclusion in such a library contains:

. The LCD code from the stdiodemo example.  It's been living in my
  private tree for a couple of years, and when I published it as part
  of stdiodemo, I cleaned it up a good bit, and generalized it through
  macros so it ought to be fairly easy adaptable for other hardware as
  it is now.  It has been subsequently improved based on user
  feedback.

. The one-shot timer code from:

  http://www.sax.de/~joerg/avr-timer/

Eric has been tossing the idea around in private mails before
(actually, years ago), so when I saw your DynAlloc stuff, it just
came back to mind.

My major criteria for inclusion would be:

. general usability (i.e. covers at least a good number of AVRs if not
  all of them)

. same license as avr-libc to improve re-usability in closed source
  projects (that's the major distinction from Procyon AVRlib)

. only include contributions where it is ensured that we (i.e. the
  current or perhaps future avr-libc developers) are really able to
  actively maintain it with the same dedication as avr-libc is being
  maintained

The stuff that's currently available in the util/ header files would
have been stuff for such a library.  However, now that we made it part
of avr-libc, we cannot simply withdraw it from there, so I wouldn't
really want to move it.  However, similar contributions should rather
be considered for the new extensions library.

The structure needs to be discussed.

> > I don't mind heading such a project, as I don't think it
> > would be too much trouble. I've got until the end of Feb
> > before Uni starts again, to get it all organised and moving.

That's great to hear!

> The link above to the AVR Freaks post does not work for me. Could
> you double-check and repost?

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=57805

If you're still unable to find it, just type "DynAlloc" into the
search field, and search the AVR-GCC forum for it.

> I might have a thing or two to say about such a library...

I thought so.