[avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] no avr/lib/avr25/attiny13a/Makefile.in

From: Ruud Vlaming
Subject: [avr-libc-dev] Re: [avr-gcc-list] no avr/lib/avr25/attiny13a/Makefile.in
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:51:46 +0100

On Friday 30 January 2009 18:21, Weddington, Eric wrote:

> > Here it is. I added some sed hocus-pocus to normalize the version
> > numbers before comparisson. It is NOT bullit proof, but it handles
> > one and/or two digit, possibly mixed, version numbers of two and/or
> > three levels, possibly preceded by 'v' and augmented by release
> > denotifiers.
> >

> Hmm.

> First off, I'm moving this thread to the avr-libc-dev list where it is more
> appropriate.
This will be my last entry here (i am not yet receiving mail for the other list)

> Second, see an alternative patch that is attached. This is against the 1.6
> branch.
Thats fine with me too.

> It's only had minimal testing. But it avoids the complicated sed magic,
> and string comparison, by instead doing arithmetic expansion on the
> major and minor parts of the version string and then doing arithmetic
> comparisons. That way we can check if the major parts are equal and the minor
> part of the revision is less than some specific value, then abort because the
> version does not meet the minimal requirement.
Please realize that this kind of approach is highly sensitive to the way the
version
output is generated. It breaks if one word is added in the string, or if version
numbering is changed. Although arithmetic comparisons is good, string comparison
is not necessarily worse, provided the string is well crafted, which is done by
the 'sed magic' :-)

> Joerg, how well would this work on FreeBSD? These changes are only bash-isms
> AFAIK, but you know more about unix compatibility issues.
Yes i realized that when after i submitted the patch. I tested it on two linux
distro's
mac os and cygwin (and they run), but on a third distro it turns out that the
declaration
  #! /bin/sh
is not compatible with the function declaration, and should be changed to
 #!/bin/bash
I dunno about Free BSD

Ruud