Re: [avrdude-dev] Build Questions

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Build Questions
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:45:31 +0200

As address@hidden wrote:

> address@hidden ~/avrdude
> $ . build.sh
> ++ export ACLOCAL=aclocal
> ++ ACLOCAL=aclocal
> ++ export AUTOHEADER=autoheader
> ++ AUTOHEADER=autoheader
> ++ export AUTOCONF=autoconf
> ++ AUTOCONF=autoconf
> ++ export AUTOMAKE=automake
> ++ AUTOMAKE=automake
> ++ PREFIX=/avrdude/test
> ++ ./bootstrap
> + aclocal
> + autoheader

> I then have a winpop that says "Program has performed and illegal
> operation."  The title on the window is PERL. I know previous to
> this error perl executes okay.

I seem to remember the problem that perl crashes under Cygwin has
recently been discussed here.  I don't remember any results though,
did you have a look into the list archive?

> I would like to troubleshoot this but I am kind of at a loss as to
> where to start. Can someone tell me what +autoheader is?

This "build.sh" is a shell script, yes, somewhat comparable to a DOS
batch file.  The "+" is just an echo of the command that is currently
executed, so you can trace what happens.  This is requested by an
instruction "set -x" on top (or by appending a -x to the name of the
shell in the first line, after the #! magic).

So it basically means that it crashes inside "autoheader".
"autoheader" is part of the "autoconf" package which does some
preprocessing on the build infrastructure description files, in order
to establish the system-dependant actual build infrastructure (like
Makefiles).  "autoheader" itself is a Perl script, so the perl
language interpreter will be used to run that file.  Obviously, this
interpreter is crashing on you, which of course is never supposed to
happen, not even for errors inside the script.

I'm afraid there's no easy help here.  The first thing to try is
perhaps using a different version of perl.  "perl -v" tells you what
you're currently using.  Is there a chance (inside or outside Cygwin)
to chose a different version, or install one from a different vendor?