Re: [avrdude-dev] Fix warnings patch

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Fix warnings patch
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:50:38 -0600

On 28 Aug 2003 at 14:48, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> > This is why it's important to fix these warnings as soon as possible; it's
> > difficult to remember / figure out later.
>
> True. Which is why simulavr is setup to compile with -Wall -Werror. I
> was reluctant to do that to avrdude and forget to set my CFLAGS when
> configuring avrdude. [note: simulavr has some nasty casting problems
> which show up when using the latest gcc (3.3.x)]

Why not set up avrdude to have -Wall -Werror?

> > Given the code structure as it stands, typecasting is at the very least
> > safe, even though I have no idea what the original intent was.
>
> If you consider the problem from the perspective of type promotion,
> then, changing the %d to %ld is the safest thing to do.
>
>   size = rc;  /* promotes rc to long */

Implicitly, I might add. I wish I knew if were intentional (explicit) such
as:

size = (long)rc;

> With your cast, a change to rc in the future could break the code,
> whereas changing the spec is immune.

Point. I'll go ahead and change the spec then. But at some point it would
be nice if Brian would go through this and fix the typing to what was
intended.

Eric