RE: [avrdude-dev] AVRdude for win32 installer

From: Gianmario.Scotti
Subject: RE: [avrdude-dev] AVRdude for win32 installer
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:35:47 +0200

I understand the need for an OS-native package. In fact, I have
been working hard towards packaging our software into native Solaris
or HP-UX packages, because it makes technical sense most of the time.
I managed to persuade my colleagues of the usefulness of creating
native packages, instead of just a .tar or similar archive (now that
I think about it, I forgot to put that in my resume).

Also, notice the word "humbly" ;o)

> > P.S. could you perhaps repackage the Win32 version at least
> once, as I
> > have now broken my own WINavr installation? Pretty please?
>

> Ok,
No need, I did that already myself, thanks anyway.
> about before. Currently, when avrdude is built, it requires
> the cygwin1.dll,
> and the avrdude installer promptly overwrites this file.
Check this out:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

These are (some) GNU tools natively compiled to the win32 API.
This is the first thing I install on any desktop/laptop I get
to use. These tools are generally much faster than the ones
compiled against cygwin.

cheers and thanks

mario