Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude release?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude release?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:00:33 +0200

As Bob Paddock wrote:

> Right now cvs will not build on my freshly installed Cygwin because
> it wants autoconf 2.57 and will not use 2.59.

> If I install 2.57 then it is going to break the stuff that wants
> 2.59. :-<

The auto* tools are a PITA in that respect, mainly due to various
incompatibilities in the config files these tools are accepting.
Alas, backwards compatibility doesn't seem to have bothered the folks
developing these tools much, it seems.

FreeBSD offers what they call `ports' for each of the major versions
of these ports, and always installs the final binaries including a
version number now, so you can install multiple versions in parallel.
So there's no longer an `automake' tool, but automake14 and
automake17.  Likewise, I've currently got autoconf213, and autoconf257
around.

All I gotta do then is to edit the various bootstrap scripts so it
uses the exact version number.