Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude only downloads once, once.

From: Kevin
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude only downloads once, once.
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:25:05 -0600

Bernard,

I do have this problem with other devices. In one case I note that I have to "kick" the port a couple of times to get the dialog working properly and then it is OK. I doubt that it is the driver though. I have programs in Virtual PC that used to work, then I updated to OS 10.4.1, and VPC 7.0.2 - Then they stopped working. It could be that anything past 10.4.0 broke the serial access and I'm now also seeing it in the Mac OS, not just in the VPC environment. Hmm, I've been blaming VPC, it appears that I need to blame Apple for this problem.

DLC

Bernard Fouché wrote:
Kevin wrote:

I'm running avrdude on a Mac OSX 10.4.1 system with the IOGear GUC232A (Prolific) USB/serial dongle. I'm using the 1.0.8 driver from IOGear and it seems to work to download to my M8535 board. BUT, the device does not respond error occurs on all subsequent downloads. If I unplug the dongle and plug it back in, then again, I can get one download to work, then again, that error. I'm using the latest non-beta version of avrdude.

Is there a button to push or a knob to twist to get this annoying symptom to go away?

thanks,
DLC

I dunno Mac OSX but being used to unix, it looks like a file descriptor closing problem (and avrdude does not check if a device is already being used before opening it). Can you connect this USB/serial dongle to anything that produces rs232 traffic (a terminal, another computer with a cross over cable). If so, use a terminal emulator to talk to this other device and see if, like with avrdude, you are not able to have the terminal emulator work twice.

If you have the same problem, then you should report it to IOGear.

   Bernard

Dennis Clark          TTT Enterprises
www.techtoystoday.com