Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and ponyprog serial?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude and ponyprog serial?
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:48:51 +0200

As Michael Holzt wrote:

> A even more simple design:
> http://www.olimex.com/dev/images/avr-pg1b-sch.gif

I might give that a try.

> I'm currently working on integration of my code into par.c (which
> should probably be renamed to bitbang.c or something like this),
> because in the ende both drivers are doing the same - bit banging.

Well, renaming files in CVS is awkward, we'd lose the file's history.
Changing the comment on top might suffice.

However, just keep in mind that Win32 requires a completely different
serial handling than Posix.  For the standard serially-attached
programmers (like the STK500), this has been encapsulated in two
different source files.  It wouldn't be nice to `poison' par.c with
Posix-only source code.

IMHO it would be wise to break out the actual serial device handling
into separate files again, one for Posix, one for Win32.  Unless
someone promises to hack the Win32 part really soon now, it also needs
to be #ifdef'ed so Win32 builds can be done without the serbb code.
(Perhaps it would be overall a good idea to have the various
programming adapters configurable at configure time.)

I'm anything else but a Win32 expert :), a quick glance at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/devio/base/communications_functions.asp
suggests that a Win32 implementation would probably use the
SetCommState() and GetCommModemStatus() calls.  SetCommState() is
already used in ser_win32.c, so perhaps the ser_*.c modules could just
be extended for the serbb code.