Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #19769] ATmega164p not recognized

From: Bob Paddock
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] [bug #19769] ATmega164p not recognized
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 08:47:41 -0400

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:00:37 -0400, Joerg Wunsch <address@hidden> wrote:

Originally, these devices were supposed to be named ATmega164
and ATmega324.  The avrdude.conf addition was done by that
time already.  Later on, Atmel changed their mind, and issued
their picopower line, so these two devices became the first
members of picopower.

There are also multiple devices called ATmegaXX4p,
with different data sheets.  The automotive grade
ATmegaXX4p parts are not listed in the "picoPower"
part of the web site, they are listed under "Devices",
where you don't find "picoPower" devices.

In a very quick look of the data sheets between
Automotive and Non-Automotive I didn't see
any differences relevant to AVRDUDE.

Not sure I like the fact that Automotive and Non-Automotive
parts have the same signatures.  No way to tell
from the program perspective if someone along
the procurement path put in the lesser grade part.