Re: [avrdude-dev] Intel Mac and AVR Dragon

From: Evan Broder
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Intel Mac and AVR Dragon
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 12:51:29 -0400

Evan Broder wrote:
> Joerg Wunsch wrote:
>
>> I must admit I don't have the faintest idea how the USB communication
>> would work under MacOS X.  I can decode that trace on my FreeBSD
>> system, but I cannot see the slightest touch of USB communication in
>> there.  It somehow opens libusb, mmap()s a bit of stuff, and then all
>> of a sudden comes to the conclusion it found an AVRDRAGON with serial
>> number 00A200002CCB.  Either that, or my FreeBSD cannot decode parts
>> of the file (OS X additions to the ktrace format?).
>>
> <snip>
> Ok...this is way out of my league of knowledge, but it does look like
> like the OS X version of kdump gives a lot more information - I piped
> the output into http://web/broder/Public/avrdude-kdump.out
>
>> Run as root for a quick test?
>>

> No difference - exact same behavior. I went ahead and ktraced that too -
> http://web.mit.edu/broder/Public/avrdude-root-ktrace.out and
> http://web.mit.edu/broder/Public/avrdude-root-kdump.out
>
> They were very similar, but not identical - I made a diff file at
> http://web.mit.edu/broder/Public/kdump-diff. The differences all seem to
> be memory locations, but like I said, I only have a vague idea of what
> I'm looking at.
>
> - Evan

Just a quick update, I borrowed my boss's AVR JTAG ICE mkII, and
basically the same thing happens - here's the output:

avrdude: Version 5.4, compiled on Jun 20 2007 at 18:51:40
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

         System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/evan/.avrduderc"

         Using Port            : usb
         Using Programmer      : jtag2
avrdude: jtagmkII_open()
avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found JTAGICE mkII, serno: 00B0000012F5
avrdude: usbdev_drain(): flushed 11 characters
avrdude: usbdev_drain(): flushed 11 characters
avrdude: usbdev_drain(): flushed 11 characters
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync()
avrdude: jtagmkII_getsync(): Sending sign-on command:
avrdude: jtagmkII_send(): sending 1 bytes
avrdude: Sent: . [1b] . [00] . [00] . [01] . [00] . [00] . [00] . [0e] .
[01] . [f3] . [97]
avrdude: jtagmkII_recv():

Would a ktrace of this be helpful?

- Evan