Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude GUI with Fuse Calculator

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude GUI with Fuse Calculator
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:05:01 +0100

As Weddington, Eric wrote:

> I like the simplicity of 1 file per device and 1 file per
> programmer.

I'd like to add an index file (or one for the parts, and one for the
programmers, e.g. if both are in different subdirectories).  That
avoids the need to handle directories itself to automagically find out
which files are present: while standard C offers a good set of
functions for handling plain files, it offers zero support for
handling directories, and every OS appears to implement a completely
different API for this.

> XML seems to be a standard format.  Plus it would probably ease
> writing convertors to convert from Atmel XML device file to avrdude
> XML device file.

Alas, the Atmel part description files are completely AVR Studio
driven.  That causes them to lack any information AVR Studio doesn't
need.  For example, AVR Studio doesn't have to bit-bang an ISP
interface by itself, so the low-level ISP commands are missing.

OTOH, given that the STK500 and AVRISP (version 2 firmware) can
apparently cope with each new device by just passing them a few
parameters (which then *are* in the XML file, again) rather than
complete ISP bit-bang patterns, it makes me think the ISP interface
between different AVRs is simply compatible enough to allow for some
kind of built-in default ISP command set.  The only exceptions are
probably the really old device where often only parts of the fuses was
available via ISP.  But we could opt for keeping the ISP information
for these in individual files, and only resort to built-in defaults
for those AVRs that lack explicit configuration information.