[avrdude-dev] some problems i found, STK600 will use different pp_contro

From: SimonQian
Subject: [avrdude-dev] some problems i found, STK600 will use different pp_controlstack in some parts
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:27:29 +0800

I am author of AVRminiProg(http://www.SimonQian.com/en/AVRminiProg).
AVRminiProg can be configured to be AVRISP mkII or JTAGICE mkII or AVRDragon,
and maybe later STK600. When I wrote code to make AVRminiProg support avrdude,
I found some problems.

1.While programming thru JTAG as AVRDragon or JTAGICE mkII, AVRStudio will not
send JTAGICE_CMND_RESET and JTAGICE_CMND_GO. These 2 commands are used when
debugging thru JTAG. But avrdude will send these commands even when programming
thru JTAG.

2.I tested avrdude 5.5 and 5.3.1 and found programming speed is faster under
avrdude 5.3.1. I will make some futher tests.

3.in avrdude.conf, every chip has only 1 pp_controlstack section.
pp_controlstack is related to hardware, in the source code of AVRminiProg,
there is a description of the usage of pp_controlstack. This will not trouble
before supporting STK600, I think. For example, according to the description
file of ATtiny461 in AVRStudio, STK600 will use an other pp_controlstack, so it
has 2 different pp_controlstacks(for STK500_2 and for STK600).

4.unused bits in efuse will be set to 0, which means programmed, while in
AVRStudio they will be set to 1. I think set them to 1 is safer.

2008-02-12

SimonQian(address@hidden) ---- www.SimonQian.com