Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR Studio plugin

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVR Studio plugin
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:51:59 +0100

As Vandra Ákos wrote:

> I would like to know if a thing like this already exists (so that I
> don't reinvent the wheel)? And is there anything I should be aware
> during development?

I don't think such a plugin does already exist.

I'd encourage you to embed avrdude at the library level, rather than
calling the external program.  See my message about the GUI
implementation I just sent to the list for the reasoning: your plugin
would basically play a similar role as a standalone GUI does.

In order do that, you'll have to compile the avrdude library backend
under a compiler that supports the AVR Studio SDK (probably MS Visual
C, I guess).  I hope this will be possible, after all, most of the
stuff that is used is just standard C functionality only.  So far,
there's no build infrastructure for this, however (since there's only
the autoconf/automake-generated build infrastructure), so you're on
your own with that.  You'll have to use lex/flex and yacc/bison in
order to translate the grammar parser for the configuration file, but
I'd hope that the C code resulting out of that would compile under a
Microsoft compiler.  As far as I know, you might be lucky in that by
now, avrdude doesn't really use any C99 functionality.  (I've heard
that Microsoft still didn't bother to implement the new standard, even
after so many years have passed already.)

Further, you'll eventually need the same changes that have already
been discussed in the other thread.  In particular, you certainly
wouldn't want to exit(1) your AVR Studio upon encountering an error
in the avrdude library...