[avrdude-dev] serial_baud_lookup unnecessary?

From: Gerard
Subject: [avrdude-dev] serial_baud_lookup unnecessary?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 13:37:26 +0200

Hello AVRDude devs,

I've recently been experimenting with a rather odd setup (I won't bore you
with the details) containing at ATmega168 with a simple programmer that
uploads software via a serial port. The BAUD rate this setup runs at is
195313 (hence the oddness). I realize this is not a common BAUD rate and
when I tried to upload software with avrdude, it gave me this error;

avrdude: serial_baud_lookup(): unknown baud rate: 195313

So I downloaded the source, located serial_baud_lookup and figured that all
it does is check if a number exists in the table and then return the exact
same number. A quick hack turned it into this;

static DWORD serial_baud_lookup(long baud)
{
        return baud;
}

No more checks, any BAUD rate accepted. After compiling and testing with
195313, it turns out it works absolutely fine. So is there any real reason
to limit the BAUD rates to specific numbers? I realize that there are
specifications detailing a set number of accepted rates, but in practice it
seems this makes no difference.

I was hoping you could either remove this restriction or add a parameter
that allows "wrong" BAUD rates to be used (a force or override switch). I'm
willing to contribute to either solution, or even fully implement one of
them.

Let me know what you think :)

Regards,
Gerard