Re: [avrdude-dev] serial_baud_lookup unnecessary?

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] serial_baud_lookup unnecessary?
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:39:42 +0200

As Gerard wrote:

> No more checks, any BAUD rate accepted. After compiling and testing with
> 195313, it turns out it works absolutely fine.

The question is: are you sure it will work with /any/ Windows driver
that way?

Technically MSDN describes the respective DCB field:

BaudRate

    The baud rate at which the communications device operates. This
    member can be an actual baud rate value, or one of the following

Where "indexes" refers to the CBR_xxx constants.  To me, this looks
like it might once have required the use of the CBR_xxx constants,
while the possible choice of an arbitrary baud rate has been added
later.

I'd recode it to return the CBR_xxx constants if any match could be
found, and pass the actual baud rate figure through otherwise.  I
think that's the safest possible implementation.

The Posix implementation has a similar restriction, only that the
speed names are Bxxx there.  As modern Posix implementations also
accept an arbitrary number for the actual baud rate, I think the same
implementation should be chosen there: try looking up the baud rate
name, and failing that, pass the baud rate figure through.

Care to submit a patch tracker?