Re: [avrdude-dev] Windows building advice

From: Xiaofan Chen
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Windows building advice
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:30:09 +0800

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 4:29 AM, Enoch <address@hidden> wrote:
> I can confirm that using MXE too <http://mxe.cc/> avrdude builds after
> correcting Makefile's wrong "AR = :" with "AR = i686-pc-mingw32-ar".
>
> My next problem is replacing the need for an external libusb0.dll with
> MXE's provided (static) libusb.a.
> Currently configure is missing a --disable-shared option.

Just a clarification, I do not believe the libusb.a provided by MXE
is really a static library. I am not using MXE myself (tried it under
Mac OS X and then deleted it) but I am one of the admins of
libusb-win32 project. We never provide a static version of libusb.a
(gcc) or libusb.lib (MSVC). The file libusb.a is actually a dynamic
import library for libusb0.dll, it should probably have called
libusb.dll.a or things like that.

So you will still need an external libusb0.dll which will be installed
to the system when you install the supported driver for libusb-win32
(libusb0.sys or libusbK.sys).

--
Xiaofan