[avrdude-dev] [bug #41857] avr109 atmega2564rfr2 erase timeout to short

From: Klaus Leidinger
Subject: [avrdude-dev] [bug #41857] avr109 atmega2564rfr2 erase timeout to short
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:48:42 +0000

Follow-up Comment #11, bug #41857 (project avrdude):

Georg,
for me the reason was keep it simple. A longer timeout is only valid for not
connected/responding programmers and can be stopped with ctrlC

And this is may be a "general" fix for programmers which use serial protocol
instead of fixing one by one. I expect more programmers running in this
problem (at least avr910 is one)

After having a look to the behavier of stk500 shows, that it does a retry for
several times before it quits with an error. (or is stopped with ctrlC ) The
interval itself seems to be 5 seconds.
So does stk500 delete the atmega2564rfr2 without timeout? Do you have a stk500
for testing this?

The Method of 10 times wait per # of pages depends on clock rate of the
Controller as far as I understand your post. What about 4 or 1 MHz?

So if choosing this fix, it should be deployed to at least avr910 also.

If this problem really hits only avr109 and avr910 why not pimping the erase
command with a kind of status bar (running dots) and setting the timeout for
this erase command to a higher time for next Chips and slower clockrate?
Whould be a nice improvement for the old protocol.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?41857>

  Nachricht gesendet von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/