Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE+libusb, compiling and running on Windows

From: Didrik Madheden
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] AVRDUDE+libusb, compiling and running on Windows
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:48:26 +0200

On 15 April 2014 09:54, Didrik Madheden <address@hidden> wrote:
> In other words, ftdi.h (the header from libftdi, not part of avrdude)
> includes ftdi.h, but never lusb0_usb.h. And so we get the else case:

Typo alert! That sentence is of course meant to say "includes usb.h".

And as for running the compiled binary, installing the libusb0 driver
through Zadig did work, however, doing this disables the regular
function of the chip as a serial port until the FTDI driver is
restored, which may be inconvenient if you need both. I had no luck
installing it as a filter driver, either.
... until after using Zadig. Brilliant.

However, the other problem with the libftdi is that it's hopelessly
slow. As a test, I tried reading the flash memory from an Atmega162,
which took 2.89 s using the serjtag version and 8.6 s using libftdi.

And also, programming does not seem to work with my freshly compiled
binary, even though reading does work and produces a correct output
file:

avrdude.exe: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.11s

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e9404
avrdude.exe: NOTE: "flash" memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be per
formed
             To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude.exe: erasing chip
avrdude.exe: Device is not responding to program enable. Check connection.

avrdude.exe done.  Thank you.

This is using a programmer defined as
programmer
  id    = "myprogrammer";
  desc  = "My programmer";
  type  = "ftdi_syncbb";
#ISP-signals
  reset  = 2;
  sck    = 5;
  mosi   = 3;
  miso   = 6;
  #buff   = 5;
#LED SIGNALs
  #errled = ~ 12;
  #rdyled = ~ 15;
  #pgmled = ~ 14;
  #vfyled = ~ 13;
;

The board contains a FT232RL connected to an Atmega162.

--
/Didrik