Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude is not detecting atmega32a

From: Ray Moore
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude is not detecting atmega32a
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 09:53:01 -0500

This is going to be a usbasp issue most likely.  Have you updated the
firmware on the programmer and tried lowering the communications speed?
Most usbasp devices allow you to slow down the clock speed on the programmer
side.  Also, make sure you have power and proper clock signal on the
atmega32a chip.  If it is new then it will be programmed for 1MHz internal
RC oscillator.  If it is not new then it might be programmed for any of a
number of different clock options which might require going HVPP to reset
it.  Note, the usbasp cannot do HVPP.