Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude is not detecting atmega32a

From: Dmitriy Kanareykin
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] Avrdude is not detecting atmega32a
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 20:22:42 +0300

Hello Ray,

Most probably this really is the programming speed issue. When I was new
to AVR and saw ATMEGA32A for the first time, I'd spent about an hour
thinking that all my MEGAs were faulty. Finally I lowered the speed and
everything became OK. You need to set programming speed to at most 1/4
of the clock speed (if I remember correctly), so for the default clock
speed of 1MHz, programming speed must be 250KHz or lower. I'd
recommend 100KHz for the start, then you can try increasing it or
adjusting MCU's fuses for a higher internal clock speed. So, try:

avrdude.exe -c usbasp -p m32 -B100kHz -v