Re: [Axiom-developer] 20040705 build broken

From: Jason White
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] 20040705 build broken
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 17:00:33 +1000

Wolfgang Zocher writes:
 > root <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/axiom co axiom/src/graph
 > >
 > > and let me know if you get the src/graph subdirectory.
 >
 > That works! Thank you. Though, I would like to understand why the "normal"
 > cvs
 > update doesn't do it ...

Perhaps because you didn't use the -d option of the update command, as in
cvs update -d

>From cvs(1):

       -d

         Create  any directories that exist in the repository if they're miss-
         ing from the  working  directory.   Normally,  update  acts  only  on
         directories  and  files  that  were  already enrolled in your working
         directory.

         This is useful for updating directories  that  were  created  in  the
         repository since the initial checkout; but it has an unfortunate side
         effect.  If you  deliberately  avoided  certain  directories  in  the
         repository  when  you  created your working directory (either through
         use of a module name or by listing explicitly the files and  directo-
         ries you wanted on the command line), then updating with -d will cre-
         ate those directories, which may not be what you want.