[Axiom-developer] graphics and latest Debian package

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] graphics and latest Debian package
Date: 11 Jul 2004 13:51:15 -0400

Greetings!  I made a small typo in my original 20040705 package which
means I have to do another upload.  Given this opportunity, I'm
wondering what should be done about the new graphics items.  I
understand that they are not yet callable from axiom proper.  So
perhaps we should leave them out of the package for the time being.
If they are to be included, I'm not sure if they logically belong in a
separate package or should be bundled with the main binary.  The
latter option will make axiom require X and any libraries used, etc.,
while the former will relegate such dependency to an optional add on.

If viewAlone is to be regarded a standalone binary, then I need to
either write or generate a manpage for it according to Debian policy.

src/graph/viewports is an empty directory on CVS checkout, and (I
think therefore) is absent on cvs export.  But
src/graph/Makefile.pamphlet tries to make a doc/viewports directory
from this directory.

While it is uncertain how much time remains before the next Debian
stable release, the signs are that it is approaching rather soon.  The
major obstacle was removed recently by a developer vote.  Once
released, it is likely that two or three years will lapse before the
next Debian stable.  Needless to say, I'd like axiom to be as solid
therein as possible.  This of course is not to rush axiom development
in any way -- rather I'm just seeking advice on how axiom should be
presented in this release that is likely to be with us a long time.

Also, if there is any item that is a reasonably low hanging fruit that
needs picking in axiom within this time frame, perhaps I can help.

Take care,