RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 12:33:52 -0400

On Friday, September 17, 2004 11:12 AM Arthur Norman
address@hidden
> Note that some in the new Axiom world have declared use of
> CCL to be one of the worst mistakes anybody ever made wrt
> Axiom and that my Lisp is thus to be abhored.. so do not
> get too enthusiastic.

I may not hear everything that get said about "the new
Axiom world" but I have certainly never heard anyone make
such a statement about CCL and axiom! In fact the full source
of CCL including the Axiom specific parts is still included
in the Axiom CVS with the expectation that someone somewhere
would go to the trouble of re-integrating CCL and Axiom as
a buildable platform. I tried this myself almost two years
ago in the hopes of getting quickly to a running Windows
version of open source Axiom but my lack of experience and
lack of sufficient time got in the way.

It seems to me that the current emphasis on GCL and Axiom
is only a result of personal choices and limited resources.

We are apparently close to having a running version of
Axiom using GCL on Windows but still some problems well
beyond my skill level in GCL and Windows remains.