Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom release

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom release
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 10:37:59 +0000

Dear Bob, dear all,

Bob McElrath writes:
 > Martin Rubey address@hidden wrote:

 > > second: I also thought about advertising axiom, BUT, from some experience
 > > I had
 > > with close collegs, I am absolutely sure that the following things should
 > > be
 > > done before:
 >
 > [...list of good things to do...]
 >
 > Recall that this is an open source project.  We are all working in our spare
 > time.  If we define a set of deliverables that we deem "important" before
 > outsiders start flooding in, they may very well never get done.

You are quite right. That's why I tried to be modest. (I failed, it seems?)

The reason I put together this list is that I'm afraid of the following:

* we attract a lot of people, among them many professional researchers, those
  who *I* want to attract most.

* they try it out.

* they find: hey, this could be nice, but in the current state, its just
  unusable for my research, because ... (insert good reason here)

* they never look at it again.

Note that I'm talking mainly about professional researchers.  From my
experience with collegues in combinatorics, I'm confident (unfortunately) that
this would happen.

Regarding my scientific community, bugs #9217 and #10530 are most important. I
don't know about the others. If these two are well documented, I think they are
not such a big problem. In fact, if I manage to release my guessing package at
roughly the same time, I'd probably attract quite some interest. This should be
doable before next monday.

So, probably you are quite right.

Tim, do you know about the current state of affairs of the items on

http://page.axiom-developer.org/zope/mathaction/TodoList

?

Can we merge the patches submitted to

http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?group=axiom

and do a first release?

Note that I do not have the right to change the priority of a bug.

Martin