Re: [Axiom-developer] Active arch branches listed somewhere?

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Active arch branches listed somewhere?
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 08:32:01 -0800 (PST)

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Tim Daly  <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Unfortunately no. I had arch running on tenkan but got kicked off
> > because arch ate too much space. I bought a machine and the
> > axiom-developer.org domain but I don't seem to be able to get arch
> > running there. It's been a source of frustration.
>
> My condolences for the frustration.  We seem to have a hard choice -
> a revision control system with a lot of nice advanced features that
> is not widely used and has no support on public servers like
> savannah, or a more limited system (CVS) which has such public
> infrastructure support but is more limited in its branching options.

Given Axiom's trend for doing things the "right way" it would be
asthetically satisfying if that trend could be continued in the
development tools, although I grant you that's probably a rather silly
impulse ;-).

Not that I have any experience with Arch, but what OS are you running
on axiom-developer.org?  I have successfully installed Arch on Debian
and Gentoo linux (courtesy of their package systems) but I've never
tried hooking it to the web.  Was the web based part the main problem?

> Savannah has told me they plan to get subversion sometime, which
> might be a good middle ground.  But can I suggest for the time
> being to commit your arch branches into cvs as separate branches
> or 'modules'? I think cvs import can separate the code in this
> manner.

I always thought the model that made sense for the way Tim is working
is to have the "hard core" server with all the experimental code using
Arch.  This keeps the casual users from stumbling into it since they
have to jump the Arch hurdle, but allows the determined to check out
the lastest stuff.  Savannah seemes like the logical place for the main
releases, which will not need the complex versioning structure.  In the
case of Maxima people normally keep local trees for the major work and
then merge into the main one when things are shaping up.  In this case,
Tim would merge each tree into the main savannah cvs when it was ready,
and otherwise keep in in Arch land.  Was that what you were thinking
Tim?

CY