Re: [Axiom-developer] Release?

From: William Sit
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Release?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:43:00 -0500

Bill Page wrote:

> Tim,
>
> On Sunday, December 12, 2004 12:57 PM you wrote:
> >
> > I ran the install script on a windows box and at completion
> > (when I click 'finish') it starts axiom but immediately fails
> > with the message:
> >
> > Error: Cannot open the file
> > c:/cvs/head/axiom/mnt/windows/algebra/compress.daase
> >

> I will look into this problem. I can also reproduce it here
> provided that no previous install of Axiom exists. I think that
> it must have something to do with the timing of the setting
> of the AXIOM variable since that is the message one would
> expect if it was not set (Axiom is looking in the wrong place
> of the database files).
>

> > However, an axiom icon appears on the desktop and clicking on
> > that works.
>
> Yes. By that time the AXIOM variable is obviously set correctly.

Yes, opening a DOS windows on Windows 98SE, and

set AXIOM=c:\Progra~1\Axiom\mnt\windows

and then start

axiomsys

then Axiom runs without the error message.

But )summary and )copyright still give an error message:

Bad command or file name
which presumably refers to 'cat'.

Continue with

)sys tm_axiom

or start a new DOS windows and

tm_axiom

produces Xverbatim:Xchannel:promptXXlatex:\red$\rightarrow$\ XXXverbatim:

where X stands for some graphic character (not all the same).

Under XP SP2 DOS window,

tm_axiom

simply returns to command prompt.

William