[Axiom-developer] online algebra files

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] online algebra files
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:00:22 -0400

Bill,

I just saw the page
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/src/algebra/FrontPage

This ROCKS! Nice work.

Being able to create/update axiom online would be great because it
would make the modification task "embarrassingly parallel" in most
aspects. It will, of course, make my life of integrating it all a
living hell but it would be worthwhile anyway.

There are still a lot of "quality" tasks that go on behind the scenes.
I document changes, update the CHANGELOG, rebuild from scratch, hand
check the testcase output, cross-build on various platforms, and
"round-trip" the changes (checkin, erase, checkout, rebuild, retest)
before release. And finally the release gets pushed to all three
archives (arch, savannah, sourceforge).  I don't see how these tasks
can be performed in parallel. I do feel they are necessary to make
sure the quality stays high. Every step is there because it eliminates
some problem that has bitten me in the past.

We need to think about ways to merge a web-based changes to the
official archive. How do you see this happening? Would it be
possible to do a

  diff -Naur archive.version web.version >web.version.patch

for changed files? The "diff -Naur old new" is my primary tool.

Tim