Re: [Axiom-developer] compile with Debian fails

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] compile with Debian fails
Date: 31 Oct 2005 14:42:20 +0100

Dear all,

I just wanted to say that following Bills instructions, namely

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> Of on Debian, the Debian way is by far the easiest. In
> this case all you have to do is to configure your apt
> to access the unstable sources.
>
>   $ apt-setup
>
> See: http://wiki.debian.org/AptCLI
>
> Also: "Working with Source Packages"
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html
>
> And then do
>
>   # apt-get build-dep axiom
>
> To download and intstall the environment you need to build axiom.
>
> To get the sources
>
>   $ apt-get source axiom
>
> Etc.
>
> I have also built Axiom "Tim's Way" on Debian, but it is
> rather hard to get all the dependencies right. The 'apt-get
> build-dep' should fix that, so you should also then be able
> to do a
>
>   .\configure
>   make

worked, *after* having said

apt-get install binutils-dev

(although it appears to me that this should be done by apt-get build-dep axiom,
but it isn't...)

Unfortunately, building axiom from the darcs sources does not work: it seems
that for some files the executable bit is not set (for example for configure),
so I said

chmod -R u+x *

and gcl-2.6.7.* is missing (I copied them from the debian distribution). Now
the build seems to be working.

I did not yet set up tla.

Martin