Re: [Axiom-developer] ANSI Lisp?

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] ANSI Lisp?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:05:17 -0500

> > it's not far away. there are minor package issues but very little else.
> > once gcl becomes ansi i'll port it.
> >
> > i could probably make it run in an ansi common lisp within a few days.
>
> If you have the time, I think this would be worthwile.

yeah, it's coming eventually. i'm waiting for an ansi version of GCL
which is "in process".

it would be harder to port the whole build process to a "production
version" that used another lisp than it would to do the ansi port.

when i say "a few days" i really mean my normal, coffee-fueled, 24-hour
hackathon kind of "few days". they are hard to find on a part-time
basis. when Axiom was a full-time job and IBM Research would let me
work at home i could burn a whole week and get great things done.
perhaps on my next vacation....

> A related topic: I recall you saying that you have once rewritten all the
> boot code in lisp? Does this code still exist?

nope. huge discussion. lots of religion. bad timing and all that rot...
so i simply erased it. it's coming back again though. look at
src/interp/bookvol5.pamphlet in --patch-46

> Finally, I wonder whether you'd be able to fix the "bug" about dependent
> types described in Issue #219...

i've decided that documenting the system is a higher priority than
chasing bugs for me. if i chase bugs they die one at a time but there
are hundreds of them. if i cleanly, clearly document the system in a
literate fashion so others can read and understand it then other people
can join in the bug fixing. of course, as i document the system i'm
beginning to discover bugs and am fixing them as i go.