RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Boot vs. Lisp

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: Boot vs. Lisp
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:45:24 -0500

Concerning lisp style, I think the following article is
particularly good:

Tutorial on Good Lisp Programming Style

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~nau/cmsc421/norvig-lisp-style.pdf

Being dated August 10, 1993, perhaps it is not entirely up
to date with the available tools. And what it has to say about
documentation seems very much oriented to the typical lisp
programmer's view rather than Knuth's literate programming
view, i.e. writing *code* that is intended to be read by a
programmer as opposed to writing a *document* that contains
code intended to be processed by the computer.

With regard to BOOT, you should note what Peter Norvig says
about "Syntactic abstractions". I wish he had written more
about that.