RE: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Terms of Surrender (was: BAD tim)
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 10:49:14 -0500

On November 6, 2005 10:58 AM Tim Daly wrote:

> boot and lisp attack the same problem with different syntax.
> in the same environment, namely the execution environment of
> the interpreter boot loses
>
>    backquote
>    macros
>    structures
>    data-program symmetry
>
> if we were going to keep a boot-level syntax i'd argue for
> recoding the whole interpreter into python. at least python
> is a recognized language with documentation and a user base.

There is more to the change from lisp to boot than just syntax.
But I agree with your point about the (possible) relevance of
python. In fact we discussed in this email list probably more
than 3 years ago. (Would you like me to lookup on the reference
in the email archive?)

> but lisp will do what python does

Boot also does what python does even more so.

> lisp code for the interpreter exists and works

and currently uses Boot.

> lisp has documentation and a user base
> i know lisp.

No argument there.