Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Problems compiling modified Spad file underdeb

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: Problems compiling modified Spad file underdebian
Date: 25 Nov 2005 15:26:17 -0500

Greetings!

Francois Maltey <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Camm, and thanks a lot !
>
> When I update axiom on my debian testing (etch) I play with
> etc/apt/preference :
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 990
>
> Package: axiom*
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 900
>
> And an update after, I break the x11 driver (an ati fglrx driver)
> and the ipw2200 module.

Yes, my understanding is that apt will bring in just enough packages
from unstable to satisfy axiom's binary dependencies, which, being
linked against X11 through axiom-graphics, will bring in unstable x11
too.

This is just a tip for how I do such things -- it works remarkably
well for me. Find a spare partition somewhere on your filesystem
(could just be a directory with enough disk space), and create and
unstable dchroot system in it.  One can then log into this system and
run programs from within it without affecting the stable system housing
the kernel and everything else.   Check the docs, but the outline is:

1) Build debootstrap from source on stable -- apt-get -q -b source
   debootstrap.  (Have your deb-src resources in /etc/apt/sources.list
   point to unstable.)  Likewise with dchroot.  Install these two
   packages on your stable system.

2) Run debootstrap pointing it to the directory you wish to house your
   unstable system.  Configure dchroot to log in to this as a chroot
   environment.  Setup your and root passwords in the chroot.

3) exit out of chroot, and bind mount any partitins you would like to
   share.  e.g. mount -o bind /home /unstable/home.  I suggest at
   least home,tmp, and dev/pts if it is a separate fileystem.  Then
   mount -t proc proc /unstable/proc.

4) dchroot into the chroot, configure apt, update, upgrade, and
   install unstable axiom.  You should then be able to run the latest
   Debian axiom  from within this environment without modifying your
   surrounding stable system.

Take care,