Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom bibliography
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:03:32 -0700 (PDT)

--- Bob McElrath <address@hidden> wrote:

> That is exactly what I have in mind.  But furthermore the page
> displayed at:
>     http://portal.axiom-developer.org/refs/axiombib/Duval1992EPS
> is almost useless because it does not provide any link to any on-line
> database which would let me download the paper.

Well, in quite a number of cases (especially older papers) they simply
aren't online.  I agree however that if they are available they should
be linked to.  We could just include a URL in the bibtex entry itself,
which could then presumably be parsed by the web display.

> It has only a cryptic journal citation.  I think one would have to
> be an expert in the field to decode j-IFIP-TRANS-A <#j-IFIP-TRANS-A>
> A-2:133\u2013141, 143.

I agree we want to be clearer than this, and Bill mentioned that those
abbreviations might not be designed in a way that matches our purposes.
 So let's establish a standard that does fit our needs, and use it.  A
URL to the paper is the best way, but when that's not available we have
to do the best we can.

> For the \cite{} I would rather have one huge bibliography, with every
> paper on the planet.

Amen :-).  Too bad we don't have that.  Although axiombib might get
close given enough time and effort ;-).

> The contents of the \cite{} should identify the
> paper, rather than the local bibliography ('axiombib') to look in.

Well... I would prefer it that cite references axiombib first and gets
the URL from that, and if it is not present there goes elsewhere.

> For instance, \cite{arXiv:hep-ph/01234567} or
> \cite{ADS:2001Sci...294.1320M}, where I assume that the 'arXiv:' and
> 'ADS:' can be dropped because the text string itself is sufficently
> unique to figure out which database to look in.

Or, what about this - if the arXiv: or ADS: notation is included, link
directly to the main site.  If it is not included, look first to the
local axiombib for the URL and then try to identify a site.  If our
bibtex files are annotated it might be more beneficial to a user to
start there, but the option of arXiv: allows the author to be direct if
desired.  hep-ph/01234567 might have some useful local comments defined
in axiom.bib, for example.

> The difference is that I assume NO ONE will add any entry to the
> bibtex.
> Rather the server will keep a database and update it automatically
> when you type \cite{hep-ph/0123457}.  Keep the users away from
> database maintainence.  It's hard enough just to find the paper in
> the first place.

What about papers that are not listed in any of the major online
references?  I think we have to allow for an updated axiom.bib, but I
agree automating as much of it as possible through connections with
servers is a Good Thing.

> If you want to process a pamphlet in latex it's easy enough to
> extract the bibtex entries used and export them.

Maybe, but what if an online archive changes their format and decides
not to allow simple automation of bibtex entry downloads?  How will we
store annotations?  I think a local solution that is refreshed and
updated periodically will be the best compromise - we always have
something that works locally (also for offline editing, which does
happen), but it is kept current with developments elsewhere.

Cheers,
CY