Re: [Axiom-developer] Call Foreign C from Aldor/Axiom

From: Peter Broadbery
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Call Foreign C from Aldor/Axiom
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 09:06:02 +0100

> Now, my questions:
> .) Is there a recommended/better way to call external functions within
> Aldor/Axiom?
> .) I think, the "defentry" part  could be added with an Aldor "Foreign
> Lisp" call?
> .) How can I "load", external libraries (e.g. nputs.o)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gernot

Looks ok, aside from the fact that you assume that axiom's
representation of SI and String are the same as lisp's - probably true,
but it may be better to uniformly use SExpression as the argument and
return types.

I think 'Foreign C' and 'Foreign Lisp' are treated identically when
generating lisp code - ideally either the compiler would generate an
error or produce the appropriate defentry when generating lisp for a
Foreign C symbol.

I also have a vague recollection of being able to specify a package name
as part of the import - ie.
import { ... } from Foreign Lisp("BOOT");
but I may be confusing that with something else.  In any case, making
this more friendly may be possible with a bit of creative tinkering in
the aldor code.

No idea about loading external libraries..

Peter.

--
Peter Broadbery <address@hidden>