RE: [Axiom-developer] Call Foreign C from Aldor/Axiom

From: Bill Page
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Call Foreign C from Aldor/Axiom
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:49:57 -0400

On June 2, 2006 5:54 AM Gernot Hueber wrote:

> ... Where/how did you place the defentry line. It didn't
> work out for me with )lisp ?!

On this page

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxAldorForeign

the (defentry ... ) line is between

 \begin{lisp}
 \end{lisp}

which means that it gets compiled into the current Axiom/Lisp image.

> > That's my confusion. I think what you need is (compiler::link ...)
> > but that is beyond my level of competitence with GCL. Lisp
> > users please help!
> >

> Well, I never tried to use Lisp before using Axiom. What I found
> googleing for compiler::link where examples generating a new
> lisp image including addtional libs. Maybe it is possible to call
> functions from this one??

Yes. As Tim Daly said, the best person and place to ask about this
is Camm Maguire <address@hidden> and address@hidden but
Camm does also read this list so I hope he has time to reply.

> My second idea was to use the dynamic loader (Linux: dlopen
> from libdl; FreeBSD includes dlopen in libc), to load a missing
> library (converted to from my custom object). Actually Lisp told
> me, "dlopen" is not in the base image :-( At least I expected it
> to be, because it is in libc.
>
> faslink and FFI are not implemented in GCL (and/or Linux/BSD/...)

I think that is the right idea. As I understand it gcl can be
compiled with dlopen as an option but I don't know anything more
about it than that.

> > Although I still cannot call this routine as an external
> > library routine, I was able to compile and call it from
> > inside Axiom. See my extended example at:
> >
> > http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/SandBoxAldorForeign
> >
> Great.
>
> My idea of doing all that is to be able to integrate external
> libraries into Axiom/Aldor. And there are plenty interesting
> candidates (e.g. LAPACK, SDPA, ...)

+1

Here, here!