[Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen

From: Page, Bill
Subject: [Axiom-developer] RE: Doyen
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 21:08:12 -0400

Alfredo,

On Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:28 PM you wrote:

> Hope your conference went ok.

Yes. The presentations were of mixed quality but meeting old
friends made it wothwhile. Some of the presentations will be
published.

> My research in ORNL has been delayed, so I will have more time
> to work in the Live CD.

Great. I trust you will continue to let me know how I can help.

> Wilken has more experience than me working on Web designs and
> probably he could come up with a better layout for the content
> on the CD. I would like to ask you if you can tell me which
> content I could use from axiom-developer that you consider
> important.

My first reaction is to suggest you should merge most of the
content from

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/FrontPage

with the current contents of the FrontPage on the Doyen CD.

Note: To get the source of these pages just add the suffice
  .../src
like this:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/FrontPage/src

Then add some of the pages directly linked from this FrontPage
(excluding references to Reduce) such as:

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AboutAxiom
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomColloquium
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomCompiler
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDocumentation
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomLanguage
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomLibrary
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomGoldBranch
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomSilverBranch
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomCommunity
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDevelopment
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomDownload
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomFoundation
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomGraphics
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomProgramming
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/FAQ
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/FutureDevelopment
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/HowToSubmitPatches
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/TeXmacs
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/UserInterface
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/BuildAxiom
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/Doyen
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/MathematicalAlgorithms
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/OtherComputerAlgebraSystems

Each of the above pages in turn might lead to 1 or 2 more
pages that you might want to include. I would set a limit
at about 50 or 60 pages in total.

All of these pages with have to be reviewed to make sure they
continue to make sense in the context of the CD. But my advice
would be to not to worry too much about the overall integrity
of the content at this stage. Pehaps you can include a disclaimer
on the FrontPage to the effect that these pages are merely
"a selection" of pages available at on the Axiom developer
wiki. Creating really useful content is going to be a long term
project and hopefully you will be able to attract the help of
additonal people.

You might want to advertise on the FrontPage that people can
send you their updates and corrections to these pages.

> Also, I would like to know if the "Axiom+Aldor (binary,
> 48.8 Mbytes) LatexWiki Image Recommended Download" is recent
> enough to put in the CD.

Yes I think so. It is based on the September 2005 sources for
Axiom, but it is exactly what we are still running in the
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org site right now. I especially like
the idea of including Aldor on the Doyen CD although it is not
(yet) completely open source.

Are you actually planning to run this version of Axiom+Aldor to
allow the use of \begin{aldor} ... \end{aldor} on the DoyenCD?
Or just have it there for local installation?

> I have included this and the windows installer in the CD so
> people can install Axiom without having to boot the Live CD
> like we discussed.

Great.

Of course users will also need some of the installation
instructions from the AxiomDownload page. I am thinking that
perhaps we need a set of "liner notes" for the CD that describe
very briefly how to use it.

You will notice that I recently uploaded a draft CD label at

http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/DoyenCD

I think a little more effort could easily produce a better
label.