RE: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] Front page esthetic
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 03:25:48 -0400

On Tuesday, August 01, 2006 3:21 PM Alfredo Portes wrote:

> I do not know what was the first expectation with the Wiki.

The MathAction web site (consisting of Axiom Wiki and Axiom
Portal) started out simply as an experiment to demonstrate how
Axiom could be interfaced to LatexWiki (an add-on module to
ZWiki). The idea was **first** to use LatexWiki as an interface
for Axiom and only *second* to see if we could use the wiki
as a way of collaborating on creating an Axiom users and
developer web site... but of course our ambitions grew over
time (without respect to available time :).

> In our part (Doyen), the Wiki is the foundation of Tim's idea.
> Maybe it was expected to do contributions to Axiom directly to
> the wiki, some kind of online development environment. This to
> me is a great idea. But apparently this is not occurring by
> reading Bill's comments.

Yes, I think Doyen is still an important part of the overall
"vision" of where this is all going. And I think the DoyenCD
project is an important new tool that might well encourage
people to also participate on the Axiom Wiki by allowing them
to first experiment and practicing on the own computer by just
booting the DoyenCD (or virtual machine).