Re: [Axiom-developer] I would like to work

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] I would like to work
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 12:11:20 +0200

See my previous email about the
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/book--main--1

pamphlet files. All of these volumes can be updated directly through
the web. We can create diffs of these against the versions in the
current source distribution and vice versa. Maybe we could even
hack together a good way to make periodic automatic commits from
one to the other.

Right now the version on the web is about 9 months old and was
based on the tla archive by the same name. I don't know the status
of that archive relative to the versions of similar files in the
axiom--main--1 source distribution.

I guess we should make some kind of effort to coordinate this
and make sure everything is upto date and in sync before deciding
how best to proceed with large scale edits. No?

Yes. Now we have Gold=stable, Silver=unstable, and several testing branches. See http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/AxiomSources .
The tutorial should be edited on one of the testing branches (either on
http://wiki.axiom-developer.org/axiom--test--1/ or on a specially created branch on SVN).

I must say, I would like to see axiom--test--1 kept in sync with a branch on our sourceforge archive. I have no idea whether that is easy to achive, but it would avoid questions like "Where is the most up-to-date source that I should edit?".

The tla branch book--main--1 on http://axiom-developer.org/archive/axiom should be merged to the testing branch on SVN and then *REMOVED*. Look at book--main--1. It does not contain the other axiom sources and when I first found out, I was confused about the src/doc/bookvol1.pamphlet appearing in axiom--main--1 and the same file in book--main--1. Cannot we just have book-main--1 in a subdirectory of the ordinary Axiom/Gold/Silver/Testing? Nobody cares if the other volumes are not yet written, but it would be easier to know where to edit. And merging would proably also be easier.

Any other opinions about this?

We currently have more branches of Axiom than we have developers. And even worse, all these branches are quite badly documented what they are worth for.

Ralf