Re: [Axiom-developer] patches

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] patches
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:54:09 -0400

> >> I don't like very much that there is a separate (completely
> >> different looking branch book--main--1).
>
> > I think originally Tim had in mind that there might be people who
> > only wished to work on the Axiom documentation.
>
> Hmmm, that is strange. Axiom should become just one big documentation
> (all is literate). Seems like the book stuff is a project that is
> "about" Axiom but not Axiom itself similar to "The TeXbook" and
> "TeX---The Program". If that was the intension? Then I could understand
> the splitting, but I still believe that we should have everything in
> just one repository. If I come to the Axiom project I would not like to
> learn after some weeks of studying the sources that the Axiom-Book is
> actually another project and doesn't live in axiom--main--1.

The book--main--1 files are subsets of the original Jenks book
broken along the lines of the first 4 volumes of the 10 volumes
in the axiom project. I had originally been keeping these on my
own systems but people requested that I post them so they could
work on writing them. That's why there is a separate branch. I'm
unaware of anyone other than myself making changes.

One of the changes I've been making is to search the axiom mailing
list archive to find emails that are related to particular volumes.
I copy the emails onto the end of the volumes so I know that these
topics need to be covered in the books. This is an example of a
very useful task that would help the books.

Volumes 1 thru 4 do not contain source code. Volumes 5 and onward
do contain source code. That's why Volume 5 is in the source tree.
(src/interp/bookvol5.pamphlet). Volume 1 in the book--main--1 is
now in the source tree as src/doc/bookvol1.pamphlet. Volume 1 is
the axiom tutorial, which has now been published. I'm working on
Volume 2.