[Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Using Aldor or SPAD

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Aldor-l] Using Aldor or SPAD
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 01:11:09 +0200

On 08/19/2006 12:23 AM, Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
Ralf Hemmecke <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

| > It should be a mater of days or weeks to have a good front-end.
| | Oh, really?
when you get a handful of motivated people, yes.

Maybe we should open up a Wiki and call for people on the FrontPage similar to the FreeAldor link.

| Why then wait any longer? Maybe, because there is no 100%
| clear definition of the language Aldor?

That is an important factor I guess. I.e. what do we want?  What kind
of problems do we want to see solved by the language?

I believe that some research is involved here. I would definitely like to see better support in the language to state the input-output conditions in formal terms that could be used by a theorem prover. If that just appears in the comments it is lost for checking program correctness.

| > It would take momths to have decent optimizations in.
| > but, that is definitely in our reach.
| | Does somebody volunteer to start such a project, preferably under GPL?

well, I'm already burried with Axiom and other projects; but I do
definitely have an interest here.

Axiom is really big, may I ask on which part of Axiom do you want to concentrate?

In my eyes Aldor is/should become one of the most important pieces in Axiom. The mathematical knowledge that is hidden in all the SPAD domains, must be rewritten in Aldor and in a pamphlet style.

| I don't want the Aldor **language** to split, because of different
| compiler implementation, but staying in an uncertain future is just
| bad for the Aldor language to reach the masses.

it would not be good for anybody to have the community split; however,
more than one implementations are beneficial for both the language and
the community.

The availability of manpower is a big question mark for a second implementation of Aldor.

Ralf